The best trekking peak in the Himalayas Stok Kangri provides you with crampons, an ice axe, and a rope to help you climb. Many trekkers summit at 6153m because it is not difficult in terms of altitude.
- CATEGORY – Peak Ascent
- LOCATION – Leh – Stok Kangri – (Ladakh)
- ALTITUDE – 6147 m
- GRADE – Demanding
- DURATION – 06 Days
Stok Kangri Ascent Route Details
- Day 01: Trek Leh to Rumbak 4-5 hrs
- Day 02: Trek Rumbak to Mounkarmo 6-7 hrs
- Day 03: Trek Mounkarmo to Stok Kangri Base Camp 4-5 hrs
- Day 04: Trek Stok Kangri Base Camp to Advance Camp 2-3 hrs
- Day 05: Trek Advance Camp to Summit Stok Kangri 6147m – Base Camp 9-10 hrs
- Day 06: Trek Stok Kangri Base Camp to Leh 6-7 hrs
Cost: INR 50,000 / 600$ US
- Includes: Professional guide, permit, shared tent accommodation, all meals from Day 1 lunch to last day lunch, safety- first aid kit, and other technical equipment. Shared cab from Day 1 from Leh and last day to Leh.
- Excludes: Transportation to and back from Leh, Individual Potter, mules, meals while driving (no drive in this trek), and stay in Leh.
- Optional: Extra cost Potter/mule for a day pack.
Stok Kangri Itinerary
Day 01: Trek Leh to Rumbak 4-5 hrs
- Drive Leh – Jingchin 1-2 hrs
- Trek Jingchin – Rumbak (3870m) Gradual uphill along the riverside.
- Overnight camp at Rumbuk.
Day 02: Trek Rumbak to Mounkarmo 6-7 hrs
- Rumbak – Stok La (4890m) Switch back steep uphill ascent for 2-3 hrs then 2-3 hrs steep downhill switchbacks last 1 hr gradual walk along the stream until Mounkarmo (4250m)
- Overnight camp Mounkarmo.
Day 03: Trek Mounkarmo to Stok Base Camp 4-5 hrs
- Mounkarmo – Stok Base Camp (4975m) 4-5 hrs Gradual uphill all the way to base camp.
- Overnight Stok Base camp.
Day 04: Trek Stok Base Camp to Advance Camp 2-3 hrs
- Trek Stok base camp – Advance Camp (5315m) uphill ascent
- Acclimatization walks for 1 hrs in the evening.
- Overnight Advance Camp on Glacier Moraine
Day 05: Trek Advance Camp to Summit Stok Kangri 6147m – Base Camp 9-10hrs
Early start traversing the glacier for 1-2 hrs then 3-4 hrs steep climb on scree and moraine, boulders, ice, and snow for the summit(6147m). Descent all the way down to base camp 3-4 hrs.
Day 06: Trek Stok Base Camp to Leh 6-7
- Trek Descent all the way from Base camp – Stok village and Crossing Mounkarmo day 4 campsite mostly walk is along the stream 6-7 hrs trek
- Drive from Stok Village to Leh 1-2 hrs
Because of irresponsible trekking and over-tourism, the mountain’s ecology has been destroyed over the years. The Stok Village Committee and the All Ladakh Tour Operators’ Association have announced a three-year ban on trekking and climbing on this mountain peak in response to its rapid degradation. From 2020 to 2022, Stok Kangri will remain closed.
Recommended For You